Apr 11 2011
Warning: Illegal string offset 'addMap' in /var/www/vhosts/habitatapartments.com/subdomains/blog/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/mygeopositioncom-geotags-geometatags/mygeopositioncom-geotags-geometatags.php on line 605
Warning: Illegal string offset 'position' in /var/www/vhosts/habitatapartments.com/subdomains/blog/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/mygeopositioncom-geotags-geometatags/mygeopositioncom-geotags-geometatags.php on line 478
Warning: Illegal string offset 'position' in /var/www/vhosts/habitatapartments.com/subdomains/blog/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/mygeopositioncom-geotags-geometatags/mygeopositioncom-geotags-geometatags.php on line 561
Holy Week in the Christian year is the week immediately before Easter. For this Easter holidays Habitat apartments wants to recommend you different options to travel and where you'll be able to celebrate and enjoy this traditional Festival with friends or family in Barcelona, Madrid, Rome, Marbella and Amsterdam:
* Easter holidays in Barcelona: Where the nice mediterranean weather not only will help you enjoy Barcelona city you will also enjoy the beautiful beaches.
Easter week here in Barcelona, also known as ´Semana Santa´ (sacred week), would not be complete without making the ´Mona de Pascua´ cake, ´Mona´. Traditionally given by a godfather and godmother to their godchildren at Easter, the original cake is like a gigantic doughnut, containing boiled eggs, the amount of eggs depending on the age of the godchild. Now there are all sorts of crazy and elaborate modern day versions of the cake.
* Madrid Easter holidays: The Easter celebrations in Madrid during Semana Santa, or Holy Week, are obviously focussed mostly around several different religious processions from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday. Palm Sunday initiates the Easter week with 2 traditional processions in Madrid. The icon of "Cristo de la Fé y del Perdón" and the religious statue of "Santa María Inmaculada Madre de la Iglesia", leave the Basílica Pontificia de San Miguel church located at San Justo, 4 in the evening and parade through the surrounding streets. Some locals will purchase palm branches and laurel or bay leaves as a remembrance of Christ's triumphant entrance in to the city of Jerusalem. (Holy Thursday or 'Maundy' Thursday)
Perhaps one of the most spectacular moments of Easter week occurs on Holy Thursday or Maundy Thursday. The religious images of the Virgin Maria Santísima de la Esperanza and Jesús del Gran Poder are brought out of the church by the "costaleros" and through the main door. To do this, they have to get down almost on their knees to slowly make their way through, an immense effort which is noisily rewarded with much applause and shouts of encouragement from the watching crowds. And finally, the main event on Easter Sunday takes place at midday in the Plaza Mayor. This is the "Tamborada del Domingo de Resurección", whereby, whichever Brotherhood has been chosen for the year, assembles dozens of drums of all shapes and sizes and beats out a constant rhythm which almost shakes the timbers of the nearby houses. This represents the earth tremors that were supposed to have occurred when Christ died on the cross.
* Rome Easter holiday: The world capital of Christianity shudders remembering the days of the Passion of Christ and the events taking place these days are among the most important of the year. If you arrive to Italy during Easter come to see the Pope in any of the public events of the festival, especially in the procession "Via Crucis" on Maundy Friday or the Easter Sunday Mass.
* Ámsterdam Easter holidays:
The Easter celebrations in Amsterdam are discrete but the windows of houses and shops are decorated and the hotels receptions offer small chocolate eggs to everyone. On Palm Sunday you can see exterior walls of houses entirely decorated with flowers. And in some churches in Amsterdam you can listen to choral and organ music. In some parts of Holland bonfires are lit on the second Easter day, following the memory of old pagan rites of the celebration of early spring. At Easter holidays the weather is nice enough to enjoy spring in this fascinating city associated with tulips and diamonds alike.
* Marbella Easter holidays: Marbella with sunny weather almost all year, offers one of the most heartfelt Easter processions heartfelt addition to offering a variety of gastronomy where the tapas, fried fish and french toast make your stay a unique holiday in Marbella. Marbella is one of the most wonderful places for sightseeing!