Aug 08 2011
Warning: Illegal string offset 'addMap' in /var/www/vhosts/habitatapartments.com/subdomains/blog/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/mygeopositioncom-geotags-geometatags/mygeopositioncom-geotags-geometatags.php on line 605
Warning: Illegal string offset 'position' in /var/www/vhosts/habitatapartments.com/subdomains/blog/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/mygeopositioncom-geotags-geometatags/mygeopositioncom-geotags-geometatags.php on line 478
Warning: Illegal string offset 'position' in /var/www/vhosts/habitatapartments.com/subdomains/blog/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/mygeopositioncom-geotags-geometatags/mygeopositioncom-geotags-geometatags.php on line 561
Catalan cuisine is characterized by its variety and influence of other cultures. Its origin dates back to Roman times. Since then it has been influenced by recipes of Italian cuisine, French, Greek, Provencal, Arabic and Jewish. The result is a cuisine of great complexity at the same time exquisite.
The cuisine of Barcelona presents the features of the traditional Mediterranean cuisine. It abounds in vegetables, fish and meats, all cooked with quality olive oil. Balance and range of this cuisine make it synonymous with good health and a reflection of how to understand the life of the locals. The time devoted to food, either alone or in company, is considered almost "sacred" and is one of the main leisure activities of Catalan society.
The city has the advantage of being situated between the sea and the mountains, a privileged location that allows you to have the best fresh raw ingredients. And, we can not forget the excellent wines and champagnes from the earth that brighten every dish.
Among the many dishes, we highlight the following:
- Faves (beans) a la Catalana: Typical Catalan legumes cooked in a pot and mixed with various meats, vegetables and mushrooms.
- Calçots con salsa Romescu (Romesco sauce with onions): Variant of the onion is cooked on the grill and seasoned with a sauce made with tomato, pepper, mint and walnuts, among other ingredients
- Escalivada (Grilled Vegetables): Dish made from eggplant and red pepper and seasoned with salt, olive oil and vinegar.
- Exqueixada de Bacalao (Shredded Cod): Delicious salad made with cod, tomato, onion, olives, peppers and hard boiled egg.
- Butifarra con Mongetes (Sausage with Kidney Beans): Typical "sausage of pages," Catalan beans, garlic and parsley.
- Mar i Muntanya (Sea and Montain): Meat and fish are presented in the same dish.
- Pan con tomate y selección de embutidos (Bread with Tomato and Choice of Sausage): Slice of bread rubbed with tomato pulp and seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Escudella y Carn d'Olla (Soup and Meat Stew): Stew cooked with pork and chicken, chickpeas, vegetables, potatoes and spices, where the juice of the broth is prepared escudella (soup stock)
- Fricandó: Fillets of veal cooked with prunes, pine nuts, tomato, onion and "rovellons" (type of mushroom)
- Salsa All i Oli (Aioli Sauce): Oil and garlic sauce. Perfect for serving with grilled meat or fish.
- Among the desserts, we highlight: the Crema Catalana and Mel i Mató (Honey with a kind of soft paste cooked with milk, curd and water) and "Músic" (Selection of nuts with sweet Moscatel wine)
Where can you find these dishes? In Barcelona we can recommend two restaurants known for their long tradition and expertise in Catalan cuisine. One is "Can Cullere," which opened in 1786 and is the oldest in the city. Another good option is the "7 Portes," which dates back to 1836 (its specialty is arrices a la Catalana).
If you are thinking of coming to Barcelona to enjoy one of these delicious dishes in one of the many restaurants available in Barcelona, please contact Habitat Apartments. They offer the best apartments in Barcelona to enjoy your days in the city.