Have a holly, jolly Christmas – It's the best time of the year – I don't know if there will be snow – but have a cup of cheer – Have a holly, jolly Christmas – and when you walk down the street – say hello to friends you know – and everyone you meet! (Johnny Marks)
Are you already counting the days until Christmas? We can assure you the Christmas season is already knocking on our doors. There are only 36 days left. But for those who are still impatiently waiting for the holy day, we prepared a little bucket list for you. Come to Amsterdam, and follow the things to do on the list! We assure you, Santa Clause is coming soon!
We prepared our Top 10 activities and events to do in the Dutch capital in December and put them in a list. Have a look at all the details, and book your trip to the city!
Christmas tree in front of the Central station, Amsterdam
1) What is the first word coming to your mind when you think about Christmas. If you are honest, you will say: gifts! Fortunately, Amsterdam offers you not only several possibilities for Christmas shopping but also most shops extend their opening hours to give you more time. There are also multiple Christmas markets in the city where you can find mulled wine and hot chocolate among other things. Go for it!
2) The second word coming to your mind when you think about the holy festival? Obviously, it is Christmas tree or Ice skating. However, you find both in the city. There is a large Christmas tree on Dam Square with about 40,000 lights. Its definitely a visit worth it. There are also several Ice skating spots in Amsterdam. You will find an ice skating rink at Museumplein with the Rijkmuseum as a backdrop, at Jaap Eden (outdoor and indoor rink) and at Leidseplein which will be transformed in a winter wonderland.
3) Christmas in Amsterdam means also that it's time for circus again! There are three circuses in the city during the holidays. The most traditional circus is the World Christmas Circus in Royal Theater Carré (December 18 until January 3). The Winter Circus Amsterdam takes place at the Arenapark (December 21 to January 4) and the Original Cuban Circus stays at Amsterdam RAI (December 26 to 30). All of them are events for the whole family!
4) There is nothing better to create the right Christmas atmosphere than a Christmas concert. Do you agree? The annual Paradiso's Christmas Matinee takes place on December 26. Don't miss this mix out of Fanfare St. Cecilia, Tango and more.
5) Opera and Ballet is something else that shouldn't be missing at all during the Christmas season. There are also several shows to see for you at the Dutch National Opera & Ballet: from Cinderella to La bohème. Go for it!
6) Right in time for the Christmas season, the Amsterdam Light Festival is on the agenda again transforming the city in an unique light show. Don't miss this fantastic event!
But not everything is about Christmas in December in Amsterdam. There are also some other nice events waiting for you.
7) What is the last thing coming to your mind when you think about Christmas? We have actually no idea. But we bet it could be 'tango' for example. Surprisingly, there is also the Amsterdam Tango Week coming to the city in December. The event will take place from December 27 to January 4. You will find several tango events in the city.
8) Besides all the Christmas shopping and atmosphere you shouldn't miss the 10th edition of Art in Redlight. This event is hold from December 27 to 30 throughout all the halls of the historic Beurs Van Berlage. There will be a mix of artworks and performances from 150 selected artists. Buy your ticket soon!
9) There is also an interesting exhibition called "Modern Times. Photography in the 20th century" at the Rijksmuseum. There will be 400 photographs demonstrating the technological and aesthetic developments in 20th-century photography. The exhibition can be visited daily from 9am to 5pm.
10) Besides Christmas, there is obviously another big holiday on the agenda: New Year's eve. What to do on New Year's eve in Amsterdam? Well, there is a list with all the parties in Amsterdam on New Year's eve. You just have to make a choice, and book it soon!
What do you think about our Top 10? Did we convince you? Come to Amsterdam, and enjoy a wonderful time in December! There is so much to experience in this city. Don't miss it, and book your trip soon! We assure you again, Santa Clause is coming soon!
Keizersgracht 1 Apartment, bedroom
© image: Kitty Terwolbeck
If you enjoyed reading this article, share it with your friends and give us a like on Facebook. 🙂